Karachi colleges first year admissions
First year admissions yet to gain momentum
Karachi, Aug 23: The process of admissions to first year classes in the city’s public sector colleges and higher secondary schools under the Centralised Admissions Policy has so far received a lukewarm response from fresh matriculates.
That the admissions process is moving at a snail’s pace is evident from the fact that the CAP committee has received only 30,000 placement forms despite the passage of second deadline on Friday, although the number of students who have passed their matric examinations this year from the Board of Secondary Education Karachi (BSEK) alone is over 107,000.
Besides, there are around 5,000 more aspirants and they include ‘O’ level students and those students who have passed their examinations from the Sindh Board of Technical Education, Karachi, and other than Karachi boards plus the matriculates of the past year.
The process of admissions to first-year classes in the city’s government colleges and higher secondary schools had initially begun on July 23, but since then, only 10,000 placement forms were received till Aug 13 which was earlier fixed as the deadline. The CAP committee extended the deadline for applying for admissions till Aug 20.
However, the response from candidates has been poor even after the expiry of the second deadline (Aug 20) fixed for receiving the placement forms as, according to the director-general (Colleges) Sindh, Prof Nasir Ansar, the number of placement forms received by the CAP committee till Friday was just over 30,000.
Date extended once again
The D-G Colleges, who is also the chairman of the CAP committee, has now once again extended the date for submitting placement forms till Aug 24 so as to provide yet another opportunity to students who have not yet been able to submit their placement forms despite the passage of two deadlines.
He citied the city’s poor law and order situation and a delayed issuance of mark-sheets to students by the BSEK as the two main reasons behind receiving just 30,000 placement forms in the past 27 days (from July 23 to Aug 20).
However, he expressed the hope that the process of admissions would now gain momentum as now more and more admission seekers were thronging banks to purchase and submit the placement forms.
Admitting that the process of admissions to the city’s government colleges and higher secondary schools had been delayed to a great extent because of the city’s poor law and order situation and delayed issuance of mark-sheets by the BSEK, Prof Ansar said that all-out efforts would be made to ensure that it was completed before the commencement of the ensuing academic session scheduled for Sept 6 with the holding of first year classes.
Meanwhile, other academics and a number of senior college teachers who had been associated with the CAP committees in the recent past said that there were other causes responsible for receiving hardly 30 per cent of placement forms in the past 27 days and these included insufficient number of seats available in different faculties such as science (pre-engineering) and computer science; the shortage of teaching staff in the public sector colleges, which they said, was the main cause responsible for fast-deteriorating standards of education in the public sector colleges.
Describing the present Centralised Admissions Policy as “the private sector colleges friendly policy”, a senior government college professor said that “it is really a matter of serious concern that in a city where around 80,000 candidates used to apply for admissions to government colleges under the CAP, only 30,000 students have applied for admissions despite the passage of two deadlines”.The other reason behind the slow pace of admissions process is that a large number of students living in the Orangi and Qasba Colony areas have not been able to complete the formalities required for submitting the placement forms as both the localities have remained in the grip of tension and fear for a long period. Dawn